Wednesday, December 4, 2013

December's Video: Fingerless Mitts

Every month in 2013, I put up a machine knitting video, and for December, I wanted to make a video of a nice gift that you can knit - something that doesn't take too much time or money, but people on your list will appreciate/

So here's my video, teaching a fingerless mitt.  I am an accountant, and we office workers often sit still in our offices, typing on the computer, and getting cold fingers.  These are ideal for that!

This takes less than one skein (under 50 grams) of fingering weight yarn.  Since this doesn't take much yarn, why not use the very best, softest yarn you can find?  Wouldn't these be great in cashmere blend, or perhaps baby alpaca?  I was digging through my yarn stash myself - somewhere, I've got some 50% wool/50% cashmere yarn, just a little bit left on the cone after another project, that I think would make a luxurious pair.

So far, I've made three pair, using 75% superwash wool/25% nylon self-striping sock yarn, machine washable stuff.  I had a few orphan skeins I bought on sale that are buttery soft and quite colorful. It's always fun to knit up self-striping yarns and see how the colors look.


17 comments:

  1. This is a lovely stocking stuffer suggestion. I'll be making more than a few pairs for Christmas! Thank you for the inspiration and pattern!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting this Diane - I've watched it through and plan to get some nice yarn this week to make these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies - should say *Diana* . Merry Christmas :)

      Delete
  3. LOVE these, Diana. Translating the pattern for my Passap now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all that you do educate new machine knitters!!

    I'll get to this stage, one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the slick pattern, Diana. Switching from regular rib to English is so much faster than putting fairisle in the middle, although that's fun too. Great pattern!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very easy to do this pattern. I watched it last night and made a pair today. I will make some more for gifts. Thank you. I hope to meet you at Spring Fling in April.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pattern and I love the thumbs! It's the easiest fingerless pattern I have tried and they turned out great! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your videos are a blessing to me...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was my very first project on my knitting machine and I am thrilled!!!!!! Thank you for the excellent instruction. I wrote the pattern down from watching the video (about 12 times) and then away I went. You mentioned every single detail necessary to create these little gems. I am so grateful. You are truly a generous soul!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can these be made on a Brother bulky machine?

    ReplyDelete
  11. can these be made on a brother bulky machine?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love the stitches you used here...!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm finally giving these a go, and I'm using a Singer. My manual shows English Rib as tucking on the MB, and also says to put end needles on the MB...but won't they be tucking then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the tucked needles are on the main bed, change the needle arrangement so the end needles are on the ribber instead of the main bed.

      Delete
  14. How do you knit grass on a knitting machine?

    ReplyDelete