Wednesday, September 11, 2024

OOPS - Tension Not Right!

I made a sock as a sample of an upcoming pattern for single bed, no-sew socks.

But then I got VERY distracted by life.  Our son visited, we all got Covid, we all recovered, we quarantined, our son left, and then I started working on a project with an awesome new circular sock machine.  Those videos drop this coming Saturday.

Today I thought about my cool unfinished no-sew socks, and here was one sample shorty sock sitting on my Brother standard gauge.  It's been sitting there almost a month and the second sock needs knitted, so I decided to make the second sock.  I had the written instructions, I had some film of the process, no problem.  But I had a nagging suspicion that I did something different from the written instructions to get the gauge in this yarn, but what was it?  I followed the written instructions, but now the sock is too big, and I've looked at little bits of paper near the machine, I am pretty sure I was three whole tension dial numbers off.

Check out how big a difference that makes!  It's 1-1/2" longer.  No biggie, I'll rip it out and reknit it.  

I make an unbelievable number of knitting mistakes.  I also knit an unbelievable amount.  More knitting equals more mistakes, I figure.  I am pretty good at fixing mistakes, since I get so much practice!  Also, with all that practice, I'm pretty good at not getting overly upset about my mistakes.

I make so many mistakes that I even have mental categories for them.  This one goes in my Rookie Mistake category.  Those are stupid things I should not do anymore.  After all, I started knitting as a teen and I started machine knitting at age 25.  I've taught it many years, and I'm 72 now.  I still make Rookie Mistakes.  It's not really discouraging, because as a machine knitter, I can re-knit this sock in 45 minutes or less.  

If I hand knitted the second sock on the wrong needles, that would have more consequences.  But as a machine knitter, I just laugh at the goof and fix the thing.  I'm not claiming I never get frustrated, but certainly not by this small re-knit job.

This is a great example of why it's so important to get the right gauge.  Just look how much difference a few numbers on the dial makes on such a small project!

I also want you to know I make LOTS of mistakes, and I hope you are not discouraged by mistakes.  

Bye!  Got a sock to re-knit.



No comments:

Post a Comment