Saturday, October 10, 2009

Another Honeycomb Dishcloth

This honeycomb dishcloth pattern is sportweight cotton yarn, called "I Love This Cotton," from Hobby Lobby. (I have no affiliation with Hobby Lobby, but there is one nearby, and I like the store.) I grabbed two skeins of it the other day because it has a wonderful, soft, silky hand for 100% cotton.

I used the bulky machine with the ribber again. The stitch pattern you need is:

x o x o
x o x o
o x o x
o x o x

In other words, birdseye double-height but not double-width this time, because this dishcloth is on every needle. I think it'll work on 1x1 ribbing on the standard as well, but I haven't had time to try it.

Cotton is not the easiest yarn to knit. It has very little stretch and it doesn't run quite as smoothly as other fibers. To knit with cotton, be sure to do the following:

  • Rewind from a ball to a center-pull skein, or else work with coned cotton. Trust me, not rewinding your yarn is not a worthwhile shortcut, no matter what skeined yarn you use.
  • Use wax in the wax holder on the machine.
  • Don't go with a thicker yarn than your machine can handle easily.
  • Avoid lace stitches or any stitch that requires elasticity.


No comments:

Post a Comment