Thursday, January 14, 2010

Working on: Single Bed Sox


I was issued a challenge, to make good socks on the single bed with no ribber.

Now, y'all know I use a circular sock machine that makes superb 72-stitch socks with circular ribbed cuffs. Plus, I just wrote a booklet and produced a DVD teaching how to make terrific circular socks on the standard with ribber, which takes care of the other sizes and makes any kind of fancy ribbed cuff fairly easy.

So why would I do this?

Because I can't resist a challenge. And, not everybody has a ribber. Knitters, I want you to get the most out of the equipment you do have!

I came up with this shorty sock, to wear with sneaks. It is quite good, without a ribber, without much sewing. The only sewing is short cuff seams!

Do you see me rubbing my hands? Well, yes, I am rather pleased with myself.

Of course, without a ribber, you can't have a warm, soft ribbed cuff without lots of hand manipulation, or maybe hand knitting the cuffs, but if you'd like a short rise gym sock with a hem instead of a ribbed cuff, this one is fine. Try this very small project just for the interesting techniques. It's another good use for smaller amounts of leftover sock yarn. I buy such nice sock yarn that I don't like to waste any at all, and have been known to make stripes and contrasting heels, toes and cuffs to use it up.

It's filmed, and I'll put an overview YouTube up in the next few days, and then will work up some instructions and maybe a DVD later, not sure. Let me know what you'd like to see.

Got some sock book/DVD orders already, some shipped and some going out tomorrow. How cool is that! Thanks for that vote of confidence.

Oh - important announcement for Knit Natters. Sylvia has invited us to her house for the February meeting! I volunteered to do the program. Sylvia is one of our newer knitters, and has a Toyota 901. She uses a professional embroidery machine, and will show us that. I need to get over to www.knitnatters.com and change the "next meeting" page.

No comments:

Post a Comment