Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Garter Carriage Repairs

Does anyone out there have a dead garter carriage motor that they'd be willing to send us for John to play with?

John is researching the motors and gears needed for our garter carriages and would like to have one to study.  We know that these motors are increasingly rare, that they need replaced eventually on every garter carriage (we've had to replace a couple ourselves, but didn't keep the dead ones). 

All my GC knitter friends and I are very fond of our garter carriages and want to keep them going!  Isn't it horrific that this little motor wearing out could be THE END?  John and I hope to find a source for the motors and necessary gears and stock them.

Pictured:  a good one, our only spare, and we don't want to put it "under the knife."

5 comments:

  1. I have one. I am pretty sure. Contact me if you need it. I am Fibergeek on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would really appreciate this. Could you email me at diana_knits "at" sbcglobal "dot" net? I almost never go on Ravelry, and my password and login is somewhere at home (where I am usually not).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever find the specifics of the gc motor or where we could purchase a replacement motor? Thanks, Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. No. That remains an unresolved situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have seen this is it something to investigate?:

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-Motor-with-spline-Suits-Brother-Garter-Carriage-KG88-89-12v-/110751445263?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6543#shpCntId

    ReplyDelete