Monday, June 29, 2009

TSCPA Meeting in San Antonio, Texas

Photo of some Austin Chapter people at TSCPA meeting in San Antonio, Texas.

This weekend John and I went to San Antonio, Texas for the TSCPA’s Annual Meeting of Members. We had such a nice time! This was the first time John could go along. I always enjoy my buddies in the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants, and the hotel was lovely. It’s right on the River Walk and the mall, so John and I had Mexican food, and shopped, and saw sights, and attended meals and very interesting meetings. We got away from our normal activities enough to truly relax.

You almost had to stay indoors since it was over 100 degrees. My favorite meeting, as I thought about it afterwards, was the talk given by Congressman Mike Conaway, CPA (of the Permian Basin chapter), who discussed a little bit about economic, health care, tax, and other legislation in Congress right now.

I had five pairs of CSM socks in a silent auction basket for the Austin Chapter. The money goes for scholarships for accounting students. Also in the silent auction were some baby alpaca scarves that did pretty well. Somebody crocheted the scarves. My socks didn’t do well – you couldn’t really see them down in the gift basket, nor did the bidders notice some of the other treats that Diane Joiner had tucked in the basket, including a hotel stay in the Austin Hyatt.

Well, I’ll have to do some of my lace alpaca scarves or even a lace shawl for that auction for next year!

I couldn’t help noticing some very pretty, fashionable things that other lady CPAs were wearing (the male CPAs’ clothes are boring). My friend Penny said she hit the Salvatore Ferragamo outlet store in San Marcos on the way to San Antonio and bought all the good stuff. Well, I’d never looked in a Ferragamo store in my life, and Steve’s warm jacket was stolen, so John and stopped in San Marcos to have a look in the outlet stores. We didn’t find a replacement jacket; the salesman where we bought it a year ago thought he had one of those exact jackets left but couldn’t find it. There isn’t much available in warm clothing in summer, so we’ll have to take Steve shopping again in the fall. Out of curiosity, we went to the Ferragamo store. Good grief, what beautiful things, and how pricey! The price of one purse would buy me ten good leather purses from a nice department store. Now I've got see what my friend Penny bought.

I need to make more sweater sets – they are excellent for these meetings where you have to layer up when the air conditioning comes on or peel off when you get to the heated car.

No comments:

Post a Comment