Sunday, May 11, 2014

A sewer drain pipe for Mother's Day

Here I am with my newest acquisition, a PVC sewer drain pipe from Home Depot, 6" in diameter and two feet long.  We were at the hardware store getting a package of rivets for John when I noticed this, precut and ready to use for storing sponge bars and combs, that is my combs that don't have holes in them.  Most of my combs are hanging from Command hooks that can simply be fastened to the wall with their little peel-and-stick tapes. 

This has enough size and weight to it that I think it'll work just great and my sponge bar pile will stop falling over.

It would be cheaper to purchase a long length of the stuff, cut it and split it with your friends, but getting the cuts straight with a hacksaw sounded challenging to me.  I like that this isn't much of a project.  I didn't find an end cap to fit it, but I don't think that's really necessary.

John is wiping the ink off with acetone.  It takes a while, but it does come off.  I plan to sand the ends very lightly, just to smooth out the edges where it was cut.

6 comments:

  1. I have a piece of PVC piping that I collect from Larry over a year ago and am using it for my cast on combs as well. I never got the chance to get the writing off. But it does work very well. I put a piece of foam on the bottom inside-(no cap-awaiting a cap) so as to keep it from clanking on the floor when I put it in the piping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blogspot and I am thrilled. I know I will learn lots and lots. Love your mother's day gift to yourself. What a terrific idea. Thank you. Nita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! The perfect Mother's Day Present. Why didn't I think of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great gift! I bought cotter pins for myself so I can make a few garter bars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the same thing and closed one end of the pipe with color coordinated duct tape, not the most attractive solution but it works. I stuffed the tip end with bubble wrap to serve as a soft cushion for CO combs and extra retainer bars then separated each with cardboard. Great storage "tank". Now which of us crafters will concoct a lid, of sorts, for this.

    ReplyDelete