Sunday, July 11, 2010

Trico a Maquina Does it Again - Beautiful Stitch Pattern

Check out Trico a Maquina's Beautiful stitch pattern!

You can use a translating website to translate Irma's Portugese instructions, but you will find the translator does very weird things to knitting terminology.  Here are my instructions, translated from the Google translation to actual instructions one can follow (for instance, careers = rows; points = stitches, etc.).

This is a machine knitting stitch. Begin with a number of needles divisible by 5. Cast on and knit a few rows. Carriage on right.

The pattern is worked over groups of 5 needles. Begin by putting all needles into hold position and set the carriage so it does not knit needles in hold.

Put the first 5 needles on the carriage side into working position so they will knit. Knit 4 rows. Put the next 5 needles into working position, knit 4 rows.

*Put the next 5 needles into working position and knit 1 row from right to left. Put the first group
of 5 back into hold position. Knit 3 more rows. Repeat from * on across the work, adding a group and taking a group out of work as you go.

Keep working in this manner until only one group of needles is in work. The last group will have an extra row so the carriage can end on the left side.

Now, working from left to right: Knit 4 rows over the first group of 5; put next 5 in work, knit 4 rows; put next 5 in work, knit 1 row1 and put the first group back into hold.  Knit 3 rows, *put next 5 stitches in work, knit 1 row. Put the next group on the left into hold and knit 3 more rows.  Repeat from * across the working, adding a group and taking a group out of work as you go.

There's a direction at the end of the pattern that is a complete mystery to me, but hey, the pictures match my stitch pretty well so I'm on the right track.

I started my scarf with waste yarn, then an e-wrap cast-on and 4 rows of plain knitting, and ended with 4 rows of plain knitting and a loop-through-a-loop cast-off.  The scarf requires a bazillion rows.  Honestly, I lost track; the row counter turned over several times.  You knit until it's long enough, and I'm so glad I have a motor. I listened to an audio book (lame romance genre, lots of sword fights; all men hunky, and all women beautiful) and I watched the machine closely.  A couple times, a slub caught on a gate peg, and I had to rip out a few stitches.  I should have used smoother yarn, but isn't this pretty?

For my scarf using Irma's lovely stitch, rather than doing all that "hold" work manually, I created an electronic stitch pattern using PART buttons to do the short-rows.  You must bring the carriage outside all the needles every row if you do the automatic stitch.

I used this yarn before, and I only had a cone end then, for a ribber scarf. That scarf was pretty and chunky, but this scarf is blocked firmly and quite slinky.  I still have enough on this cone end for yet another scarf or small project, so you'll see it yet again!  Nope, I have no idea what this yarn is, since I got it from another knitter.

A commenter on Irma's site said she was making a blanket, but gee, I don't know.  It would be a cute baby blanket, but I generally avoid stitches with holes big enough for little fingers.  Any suggestions as to what else would be cute in this stitch?  You can modify the edges to make them straight instead of wavy, and I know seams will work okay on this stitch.  I do think it would make a nice stole, but remember, that will also require a bazillion rows.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment