Monday, October 19, 2009

Interesting Handknitting Stitch


I got this from an 1846 book, Exercises in Knitting by Cornelia Mee, which I downloaded from Amazon to my Kindle for free. I had to do a little research to figure out that when she specifies "seam stitch," that's a purl stitch.
She calls for large needles - "large wooden pins" - but I don't know how that would compare to today's needle sizes. Just for grins, I knitted up this swatch. It's called "German Pattern of Open Double Knitting, Both Sides Alike," and knits up rather thick. I've knitted a lot of stitch patterns, but this one was new to me, and I hope I knitted it correctly. I've translated it to our jargon.
Cast on 71 stitches.
First Row: *Purl 1, yarn over, Slip 1 purlwise, repeat from *, end purl 1. Do this row only once.
Second & All Remaining Rows: *Purl 2 together, yarn over, slip 1 purlwise, repeat from *. Purl the 1 stitch left at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment